Monday, June 20, 2011

How excited are you?!

It's been a while!  I think Jimmy and I are finally getting used to the idea of being married and living together!  It's been a busy 7 weeks but we're looking forward to the rest of our summer and have a couple of trips planned :)  That is not why I am writing today, however.

I recently started my summer job. I found a family in Perrysburg that was looking for a summer-sitter and I scooped up the job.  Last week was their VBS and I needed to pick up the kids every day at 11:30.  Naturally growing stronger connections to the two kiddies while spending a lot of time together, Jack and Lily asked if I could come to their "closing ceremony" for their Vacation Bible School.  I said "SURE!"  Now I've been apart of the VBS at my church for years and always enjoy seeing children singing, so I thought it would be great! 

Now the family I'm working for belongs to a Catholic church. I haven't been involved in a Catholic church hardly at all in my entire life so I was sitting in the back pew watching people bow/kneel and bless themselves with holy water before walking into the sanctuary.  Taking it all in, I was preparing for what might be a mini-mass service before the children sang.  As I watched and listened I was trying to figure out everything that was going on.  Catholic churches (from what I'm told and from my limited experience worshiping in one) tend to be somewhat religious.  By that, I mean there tends to be a lot of rituals and formalities, the masses don't seem to vary greatly from one to the next.

So after the Father shares his message with everyone, one child from each group stood up to say a prayer for the congregation. Each group of children came up with one specific thing they felt should be brought up to the church and should be prayed for.  Somewhat subdued from the service I was so surprised to hear the pure joy and enthusiasm that came from the mouths of these children.  "Praise be to our great God!" each would say after their plea for God to have mercy on people.  Their prayers were heartfelt and personal, they talked as if they knew God was there listening and prayed with confidence.  They were focused on what they were doing and truly honored to be praying in front of other believers.

I really got to thinking.  Am I EVER that excited to be talking to God?  More times than not, no.  I somehow forget every day that I am actually talking to and having a conversation with the being that took a breath and stars came out.  A God that spoke and the sun and moon were set in motion. A God that blew up some dirt/dust and created a man.  And how awesome is it that He gave us His son so that we can openly talk to Him each and every day!!  The magnitude of this fact seems to escape me day in and day out with the everyday hustle and bustle.  Somehow I let it leave my mind that I am a creation and child of God. All it took was a 5 year old with an enthusiasm and an innocent joyful prayer to put my entire relationship with the great I Am to shame.  It has been my prayer since that day that I would be able to see God in all His glory and be willing to set aside my petty wants to focus on being joyful in the day He has created.  I pray that at some point in your life you feel a little of that peace and joy that only has one source!

No comments:

Post a Comment