Sunday, May 15, 2011

Two Weeks In

So we're two weeks into marriage and Jimmy and I got to watch two of our good friends get married yesterday! They were kind enough to ask JB to read at the wedding and give the blessing for the food at the reception. There were many different emotions yesterday. I met a lot of new people from his hometown (with a lot of stories that would have been helpful BEFORE I said "yes") Oh what joy when I heard that beautiful man of mine say "this is my wife!"  (I added the exclamation point, he wasn't THAT excited really). How surreal! As we watched the couple exchange their vows I felt a light squeeze on my hand :)  It seems like forever ago that we were promising before God to love and care for each other and it was neat to watch friends experience that same intense moment.  As much as I want to wear my white gown again and have my hair done and professional make-up on, I felt so incredibly lucky to be feeling that squeeze.  The only moment of sadness was when we watched the happy couple cut the cake. It dawned on me that there was never going to be a day that is completely about us again. I realize how selfish that sounds, but after all the planning, last night was the first thought of "it's over." We have been so busy on the honeymoon and then trying to get back into "real life" mode, that we haven't stopped to think about the fact that our wedding was over. As we analyzed their reception (don't lie, you do it too) we had a list of things that we would differently about ours. And we realized that our day was over.  We planned, we tied bows, we hot-glued ribbons, we put endless lite brite pegs into tiny black holes, we smiled for pictures, we danced, and we left.  I had to remind myself of some of the best advice we were given, "It's not the biggest day of your life, it's the first day of your new life."


So here we are, living our new life. Somewhere between applying for full time teaching jobs and Jimmy's FAST, SPRC, AD and FCA (and any other religious acronym there might be) meetings, we've managed to squeeze in a little time to watch our wedding video (can you believe it's done already?! Kudos Jill Proudfoot ... AND with two little guys at home!)  Sitting on our living room floor (we have two chairs and a couch, not sure why we were on the floor), there we were with tears running down our faces hearing our vows to each other. It didn't matter that "thee day" was over. It didn't matter that my dress will be boxed up, probably never to see day light again. All that mattered (and still does matter) is that the person I was crying with is the person I will always cry with.....and laugh with and rejoice with and talk with. Not only are we living our new life, but we are (working on) living our fairytale


My cutie patootie husband and I
April 30, 2011



2 comments:

  1. You look BEAUTIFUL dear. You and Jimmy look great together. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey -- the rest of the wedding photos are ready! =)

    ReplyDelete